This is done by:
- Ensuring that the relevant educational bodies deliver qualifications that prepare professionals to provide safe and appropriate care.
- Ensuring that registered professionals keep their professional knowledge and skills up to date through Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
In order to achieve this, the Registration Board for each profession will:
- Set the standard of education and training for entry to the register.
- Approve and monitor education and training programmes delivering this education.
- Set the requirements for Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
- Monitor CPD for the purpose of Registration.
- Foster high standards of professional education, training and competence
- Safeguard the interest of the public.
The purpose of regulating education and training programmes is to ensure that all graduates entering the Register meet the necessary standards and have the knowledge and skills to do the job. This ensures the delivery of safe and effective practice to the benefit of the service user.